The Warkworth DOC area covers the Kermadec Islands and so this is the starting point for our adventure!
I eventually managed to find a rental car that needed to be relocated from Christchurch to Auckland and Neil very kindly offered (?!?) to join me and help share the driving. The car was a nightmare with squeaking brakes, broken doors and things falling apart if you so much as looked at them, but it was free and it made it so I'm not complaining! The road trip was great and we even managed a tramp in the Tongariro National Park - a good chance for me to break in my new boots!
Neil flew back to Christchurch on Saturday morning leaving me and the rest of the vollies (Heather, Stu and Nichollette) to have our gear checked in quarantine and packed up ready for the boat.
Sue, one of the staff members at the Warkworth DOC office very kindly offered to open her home up to Heather, Stu and I (we all travelled up from the South Island) - an offer greatly appreciated! (Thank you very much Sue and family!)
Sunday saw us all helping Sue and a group of friends setting and checking traps. It was another beautiful day and a stunning location looking out over Little and Great Barrier Islands and Hen and Chicken Islands, unfortunately none of the traps were successful!
We have an early start tomorrow driving to Tauranga, loading the boat and then setting off followed by three days of plain (here's hoping) sailing but I'll be taking some sea legs just in case I think!!
Pics to follow!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment