Life on Raoul Island - a nature reserve, a marine reserve, oh and a volcano.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hut to Hut challenge!

One day, four huts, 32km. You can choose the day but the deadline was quickly approaching so I decided to get on with it! The day was pretty perfect cloudy, a little breeze and cooler than usual and I even got a few short showers along the way to cool me off!


Things started off well and I got to the first hut Hutchies after a bit of a slog up Ravine 8, time to stop to write in the hut log book and I was on my way again!



The top track or Hutchies Highway, connecting Hutchies to the Denham Bay track is super fast after Ash and Nichy went through with a chainsaw, no more crawling on hands and knees (or occasionally stomachs) to get under treefalls! The next hut on the circuit is Denham Bay, down a steep track to the hut which is right by the beach, then right back up the track, I had a bit of a glow on by the time I made it back to the top!

The next track stays on the ridge line - Prospect Ridge and overlooks the crater and the northern coast, Mahoe Hut is about 20mins off this track and looking very flash after Stu and Heather spent last week there re-decorating!




Another climb up to Moumouaki, the highest point on the island before descending down on to the road, the final hut, Boat Cove Hut is at the road end and then just 10km back to base along the road.





I think I timed it perfectly getting back to base with time for a grapefruit and shower before it was low tide - time to head to the hot spring to sit in a tub for an hour or so with a bottle of my first home brew beer (but that's a whole other story!)

No comments:

Post a Comment