Life on Raoul Island - a nature reserve, a marine reserve, oh and a volcano.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Hutchies Bluff

Another of my favourite spots (I have a few) on the island is Hutchies Bluff, especially on clear starry nights!

Nichy, Ash, Lach and I headed for Hutchies Bluff on Saturday afternoon, all travelling separately! Within about 10minutes of arriving I had seen 12 whales and they just kept on coming! We made the big mistake of leaving Ash with the key dinner ingredient (all the meat!) to carry up and so Nichy, Lachlan and I had to get started on the chocolate for fear of starvation while we waited for him! The meatlovers stew was definitely worth the wait, the slugs I found cleaning my bowl out the next morning obviously thought so too.

There is a small fairly flat area for sleeping which being the first down Lachlan had grabbed, I found a relatively flat piece of grass and Nichy and Ash opted to sleep a little further back on the track where the chances of rolling off the bluff and waking up 200m below when you hit the water are a bit smaller!

A short Stephen King bedtime story set us all up for a good nights sleep!! The whales were still wide awake though and we could hear the splashing of tail slapping and honking of their blow holes all night long!

No comments:

Post a Comment